Leftovers transformed shckalakdjsuakd sjksku! (*back of throat Transformers sound)
As regular readers know, I hate wasting any kind of food. After serving up some smashing tacos for dinner this week I had some kaffir lime infused rice leftover, not wanting to toss it, I popped it in the fridge to make something for lunch with it the next day.
Gathering bits and pieces from the fridge that wouldn’t be missed I tossed together a quick and easy Fried Rice that only took ten minutes tops. The beauty of Fried Rice is it’s like Bubble and Squeak, you really can throw anything in. You can use any vegetables (or not), just make sure you cut them small so they cook quickly.
You don’t need the Shaoxing/Chinese Rice wine if you don’t have it, it’s delicate flavour just adds to the overall taste. It’s always in my cupboard because of a few staple meals I make call for it. However, it is really cheap $2-$3 L and lasts for ages. You’ll find it in the International Foods Aisle or your local Asian Grocer will have it.
Serves 1 (lunch for one/side serve for 2)
- 1 Cup Boiled Rice, I infused mine with a few crushed Kaffir Lime leaves. (this was done the night before for dinner so was dried out, if you’re cooking fresh boil the rice as you normally would, spread it out on a plate and whack in the freezer to help reduce the stickiness of it. A plate not bowl is preferable due to the larger surface area).
- 1 Tsp Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Small Brown Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Small knob Ginger, about an inch, finely chopped
- 1 Serrano or Thai Chilli, chopped
- 1 Chinese Sausage, sliced thinly, or any other meat/protein will do
- 4 Button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 Shallot, quartered
- 1 Capful Shaoxing or Chinese Rice Wine for Cooking, the light brown stuff not the white (the white is useless)
- 1 Splash Tamari or GF Soy Sauce
- Handful Fresh Herbs, like Coriander or Thai Basil
- 1 Eshcallot finely sliced
- Squeeze of Sriracha or your favourite Hot Sauce.
Heat a little of the oil in your fry pan or wok. Once the oil starts heating lift your pan from the elements and swirl it a little to get an even coating. Crack your Egg and cover with a lid or even Pizza tray to ensure the yolk area sets nicely.
While the egg is cooking, prep the vegies etc. Once the yolk is milky and the whites set, remove egg from the pan and place on some paper towel whilst you cook the rest.
Add the rest of the vegetable oil and saute the Onion, Ginger, Chilli and Garlic until aromatic. Cook your Chinese Sausage or Protein, once sealed or heated through add the Mushrooms and Shallot, cook for a few minutes until soft.
Add the rice and thoroughly mix the ingredients, toss the pan a little to help coat the rice with all the flavours. Add the Shaoxing/Chinese rice wine and splash of Tamari. Cook for a further two minutes.
Remove from heat, toss in the herbs and plate up. Top the rice with your fried egg and eschollot and squirt on the Sriracha or your favourite hot sauce.
Handy Hint: To make a little dome shape with your rice, get a small cereal bowl or similar, pack the rice into it firmly, get your serving plate, turn the plate upside down so the eating side of the plate meets the rim of the bowl. Centre the Bowl and quickly invert. Remove gently and you have a little rice hill.