Munch Munch Munch
My partner’s Mum makes this Crunchy Asian Noodle Salad all the time and it is just amazing. So very easy, so very tasty and oh my lordy so very munchy! Such a simple recipe that everyone will love. If it’s just the two of you prep everything and set aside half the cabbage mix leaving out half the nuts, noodles and dressing for the next day you serve it up (prevents serious sog factor).
Serves 6 large side portions
- 1 baby wombok or half regular wombok (Chinese Cabbage)
- 6 eschallots, sliced on an angle
- 1 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted (100g packet is perfect)
- 1 packet GF Crispy Noodles (Chang’s Gluten Free Crunchy Noodles are great and cheap)
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 2 tbs sesame oil (original recipe is only teaspoons but regular readers will know I love sesame oil)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- little less than 1/4 cup caster sugar, I find the full 1/4 a little too sweet and need to compensate with a little sea salt if I have to ( I use raw caster sugar)
- 1 tbs gf soy sauce or tamari (Kikkomans is fab)
In a wee frypan gently toast your almonds until lightly tanned, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Remove the hard end of the wombok (love that word) and slice the cabbage in about 1cm thick pieces (for the tough bits chop a little smaller).
Slice up the escahllots and toss together with the cabbage.
In a large jam jar or whatever you use to shake your salad dressings about in add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake it (with lid on like a maraca until sugar has dissolved).
Just before serving dress the wombok mix, add the almonds and noodles and toss a little more. Serve up and munch out!