A simple vegetable soup perfect for cooler Spring evenings. It’s so variable just add the vegies that you like or follow mine exactly below. The fact that nothing really has to be prepared nicely means it’s really quick to prep and cook. The risoni added to the soup helps in thickening up the thin base with it’s starchiness.
Serves 4 (Main Meals)
- dash olive oil to saute
- 1 large brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 bunch celery chopped
- 1 bunch dutched carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 3 handfuls risoni, I used Casalare
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 500 ml water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dash gluten free soy sauce or tamari, I used Kikkoman brand
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped large pieces
- 1/2 broccoli, florets cut to fork size
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1 eschallot, finely sliced for garnish (not necessary)
Heat olive oil in a pan and add the onion, garlic, mixed herbs, potatoes, celery, and carrots. Cook for five minutes then add the risoni and stir through.
Once the pasta is covered in the vegetable juices add the stock and water and bring to the boil. After five minutes reduce the heat to a gently simmer and continue cooking until the risoni is cooked.
Check the seasoning and if required grind in your salt and pepper. Add a dash of soy sauce or tamari and toss in the asparagus, broccoli and parsley cook for a further minute and then serve up into large bowls or soup mugs.
Garnish with the eschallot for fresh crunch.