Pump up the Jam!
Recently my local Asian Grocer closed down, I was devastated as they sold the best chilli jam, I have since tried many different cheap and gourmet types and come up nothing short of disappointed so in true Munch Munch Munch style I decided to try to make some at home. Rather successful it’s thicker than store bought varieties and actually has the texture of strawberry jam. I am pretty happy with my first attempt that I actually got from the Nine MSN site. It is spicy so if you’re not a chilli fan maybe take out the birdseye chillies.
Makes approximately 400g (Varies a little, but 2 1/2 Jam jars) lasts for months in fridge
- 1kg roma tomatoes, chopped coarsely (I cut in halves lengthwise, then rotated and cut again so the toms were quarted and then chopped across the “grain” to get them all chopped up real quick)
- 500g caster sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar & a splash more
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 long green chillies, sliced thinly
- 2 long red chillies, sliced thinly
- 3 birdseye chillies, sliced thinly
- 4cm piece ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon coarse cooking salt
Stir all ingredients in large saucepan over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil.
Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 75 minutes or until jam is thick. As the Jam gets thicker the more you’ll need to stir it and keep and eye on it.
Cool 15 minutes then blend and pop into a jar.
Handy Hint: Chilli Jam is great a a marinade for most meats, pop ’em on the BBQ or use in Asian style soups and stirfrys. I’ve used store bought chilli jam in two other recipes on this blog, Donna Hay Chilli Jam Chicken and Kylie Kwong Fried Rice with Chilli Jam Chicken Skewers.