I love mushrooms so much!
Munch Munch Munch
You know those moments when you blow your own mind? I just had one. This soup is so freakin awesome, considering I made it up as I went along and this is my first time making it! Also if you are Vegetarian, this little bowl of goodness is so tasty you can leave out the chicken breast and substitute the chicken stock with vegie stock and you’ll be delighted, after all they say, mushrooms are meat for Vegetarians. And do you know what this best thing is about serving soup in these eggy shaped bowls? When you get to the bottom instead of scraping your spoon you can just pick the bowl up and pour the dregs straight into your gob hole ;)
- Butter for frying (a large chunk)
- 2 lge brown onions, finely diced
- 7 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp chives, dried
- a few good grinds of sea salt
- 4 shakes of white pepper
- 1 lge fat carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, I sliced mine lengthways and then chopped for small pieces
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 200g swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 lge field mushrooms (I weighed mine for you, they came to 260g), diced
- 3 tbs plain GF flour (I used Orgran)
- 1.5 L Chicken Stock (or Vegie if you’re Vego)
- 500g chicken breast, diced small (If you’re Vego don’t add, obviously, it’s not necessary to get a tasty soup. I actually tasted my soup at this point with without chicken with you lot in mind – yum)
- 2oo mL cream light cooking cream
Place a large stock/soup saucepan on the stove and bring to a low to medium heat. Melt the butter gently and toss in the onions, garlic, herbs and seasoning. Fry with regular stirring until onion and garlic are really soft.
Add the carrots, celery, lemon juice and zest and cook til vegies are tender.
Add Mushrooms and mix well. Tablespoon by tablespoon add the gluten free flour, mix thoroughly.
Pour in the stock whilst stirring and turn up the heat to bring on a boil. Pop your lid on this will make things happen faster. Once boiling, turn down to stove to a simmer and simmer gently uncovered for 10 minutes.
Turn down the stove to the lowest heat possible and using a slotted spoon try to remove 1/3 to 1/2 the mushroom slices and pop in a bowl. Trust me it may seem totes unnecessary right now but you’ll thank yourself later. The vegies will be hot so use a teaspoon to pop the carrots and the big chunks of onion and celery back into the soup pot. This will take about five minutes or so.
Now use a stick blender (if your lucky enough to have one) or transfer the soup to a blender (you may have to do this in a few stages) and blend the soup til silky smooth (about three minutes).
Pop the mushrooms back into the pot with the soup and bring to a gently simmer. Add the chicken breast and stir the soup until chicken is cooked through. Around five minutes or so. Take a piece of chicken from the soup to see if it’s cooked if you’re not sure.
Finally turn the soup heat down to lowest heat and allow the soup flavours to infuse the chicken whilst you get the bowls and cutlery out.
Serve with a fresh bread roll. (Shar make absolutely awesome mini gluten free baguettes that are partially cooked. You pop them in the oven for 5 minutes at 200 degrees celsius and good golly they taste like normal bread!!)