I just love this salad. We eat this most weeks accompanied by a piece of grilled salmon fillet. The zesty tang of the salad helps cut through grease, so perfect for eating with oily fish or BBQed meats. I found the recipe on the Gluten Free Goddess site, and adapted it to make it a little more filling with the Roasted Paprika Pumpkin.
Serve 4 large sides
- 1 cup quinoa, rinse in a fine sieve
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbs of light olive oil
- 2 limes (juice only, zest not required)
- 2 Cloves of garlic crushed
- Salt and Pepper – couple of twists
- 4 Spings of fresh mint finely chopped
- 1/3 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 2 eschallots finely sliced
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
- Sprinkle of paprika
- 200g pumpkin (roughly), chopped into smallish salad friendly sized piece
Place oven on about 180 degrees. Chop the pumpkin and spray with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika. Pop in the pumpkin in the oven to roast away whilst you do the rest.
In a microwave safe dish place one cup of uncooked rinsed quinoa to 2 cups of water, stir with a fork and cook uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from the microwave and cover the quinoa and let it stand on the bench for at least 15 minutes (the longer is stays covered the more fluffier and lighter the quinoa will become).
Once the quinoa is cooked just add the rest of the ingredients and gently fork through. Easy Peasy.
Handy Hint: If you can make this salad several hours before, do, it means the Quiona can absorb all the flavours. I have had it last in my fridge for four days and it’s tasted great. Just like Spaghetti the older it is, the better it tastes! You can also add some more vegetables like capsicum and beans to the mix to make it more filling.
P.S It’s pronounced “Kin-Wa”